Who is Walsall Healthcare NHS Trust?
Walsall Healthcare NHS Trust provides acute and community services to around 260,000 people living in Walsall and the surrounding areas.
The trust is responsible for operating the Walsall Manor Hospital, which saw the completion of a £170 million renovation in 2010 and can now offer the majority of local care services under one roof.
The Walsall Healthcare NHS Trust offers everything from hospital care to at-home services for the elderly and those with long term illnesses, as well as palliative care and end-of-life services.
In 2017, Walsall Healthcare NHS was placed under special measures by the CQC highlighting the need for improved support for patients where English was not their first language.
Walsall Healthcare NHS Trust were looking to procure a language service that included:
- A fully managed service able to handle their extensive needs
- Driving of cost efficiencies through technology
- Provision of greater data insight and transparency of how the service was run
- Guidance on maintaining best practice and accessibility across communities
- An improvement of service provision over the previous provider (Language Line), whose service had been rated ‘unsatisfactory’ during a CQC inspection
- Greater service provision for the D/deaf community, who were adversely affected by Language Line’s failures
Like all public bodies in the UK, the Walsall Healthcare NHS Trust is responsible for providing accessible services to all. This means allowing everyone to access healthcare in their own language.
They needed a provider who could meet at least 95% of their legal accessibility requirements at the major Walsall Manor Hospital as well as through community services, midwifery, physiotherapy, and nursing.
During the course of Word360’s fully managed agreement with the Trust beginning in 2016, we exceeded every KPI by a minimum of 4.9%, and achieved close to or exactly 100% success rates on all measurables.
Additionally, Word360 undertook language assessments and training with Link workers, and gave priority to matching Link workers with bookings in their languages.
Feedback rates from service users increased to 97% considering the service ‘Very Good’ or ‘Excellent’, and a further CQC inspection in 2017 passed the service provided by Word360.
As a result, the Trust has received a service that goes over and above their requirements and demonstrates a commitment to quality care for the Walsall area.